Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Work In Progress / Fun With Hair

Something I've managed to avoid doing up until now is render a character that has a significant amount of hair on its head. I had a vague idea of how to do it, but it always seemed like an unapproachable, incredibly tedious process.

Running low on ideas, I wondered: how many NURBS curves can I pump out of Houdini? About as many as there are hairs on a human head, it turns out:

I know I'm glossing over a lot of juicy technical information here, but I'll leave the explanation for a later date when some of the remaining issues are worked out.

And well... I'm a bit torn about whether I should post this before it's finished, but what the heck. Here's a lighting WIP (updated June 16th):

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Returning to Maya

Update (12/12):
I took this one into ZBrush and worked on it a bit:

It's been a while since my last update, and in that time I've been primarily working in Houdini on nerdy and minimally artistic things. That's fun and all, but I had the sudden urge to open Maya and crank out some new models.

The first item on the agenda was to create a generic male mesh; this is a very handy thing to have, either as a base for modeling other characters, or for rigging tests. In keeping with my bad habit of modeling disembodied heads, here's the part that's finished:

Now, I had planned to make a generic female model as well, but I was anxious to see what could be done with the above mesh. Unexpectedly, the generic male turned into a woman in less than an hour:

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers!

Friday, March 26, 2010

New Reel



The reel mainly focuses on character rigging, so I'll post some of the texturing/rendering work I did for those characters here.

First up is the character I created for Sash Arvelo's thesis animation, Nutz (http://nutzthesis.blogspot.com/). Side note: the squirrel character that appears in the rigging reel was not modeled by me, but by the amazing Christian Haniszewski.


And my own character:

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thesis Blog

So, I finally got around to making a thesis blog.

Check 'er out.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Almost there...

I couldn't help but reflect upon how until I work on a new version of something, I never realize how wrong the previous version was. That's not to say I'm any less mistaken in my opinion of current work, as this process can go on ad infinitum.

That said, hopefully this has improved since my last post (still not finished with it):



And why not, here's a rendered version of the bass, which is only interesting due to the fact that all of the texturing is done procedurally.



(7/16) Slight update on the character (haven't worked on this since May):

Saturday, April 11, 2009

First (well not really) foray into ZBrush

Hello,

Here's some progress on a character I'm sculpting in ZBrush. Still new to this high-res stuff, so I'm shying away from doing anything terribly detailed for now.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oldie, but a goodie

Hello again,

Here's a modeling project from last semester, as well as a demo of the system I created in order to set it up. Enjoy!




Now, I'll admit it - I aimed to have a new thesis animatic on here today, but no dice. I did, however, just realize that the whole story fits into two drawings: